Jaipur is a city of cultural extravaganza. From music, dance, handicrafts to delicious cuisines, find out the facts about Jaipur as it has so much to offer. Jaipur is one of the most celebrated tourists’ destinations in India also it dwells with the spirit of ‘Athithi Devo Bhav’.
Though you may know a lot about the Pink City, but there are surely some facts about Jaipur that you must know.
Let’s find more facts about Jaipur,
1. The city of Jaipur was founded in 1726 by Jai Singh II, the Raja of Amer and was also named after him.
2. It was when Jai Singh II who wanted to shift his capital due to increasing population and scarcity of water that Jaipur was formed at that time.
3. Jaipur is said to be the first planned city of India. It was planned according to Indian Vastu Shastra and Shilpa Shastra under the guidance of architect, Vidhyadhar Bhattacharya.
4. In 1876, Jaipur ruler Sawai Ram Singh painted the city in terracotta pink to welcome Prince Edward of Wales. Since then the Jaipur was named ‘The Pink City’.
5. The famous Hawa Mahal in Jaipur consists of 953 windows aka jharokhas. They were used by women of royal families to look at the activities outside the Mahal.
6. Maharaja Jai Singh II constructed astronomical observatory 1727 and 1734 in five cities. Jaipur, largest among st all is the largest. It features many instruments along with world’s largest stone sundial.
7. Jaipur is a major tourist destination in India in contrast forming part of the Golden Triangle, along with a well traveled route. Starting from Delhi next visiting Taj Mahal at Agra and then heading to Jaipur in Rajasthan.
8. Jaipur is home to two UNESCO World Heritage Sites i.e. first The Jantar Mantar and second The Amer Fort.
9. The Sawai Mansingh Stadium. It has a seating capacity of almost 30,000 people. Moreover they hosted many national and international cricket matches.
10. The Jaipur Literature Festival is the world’s largest free annual literary festival. It takes place at Diggi Palace in the city of Jaipur.
Likewise if you know more interesting facts about Jaipur, do let us know in the comments below we would love to know.